- Schedule Online
- Michigan City
- St. John
A lot of our patients have come to our office with a fear of orthodontics but leave with those fears totally wiped away. Today, we want to take a couple of minutes to help you realize that you don’t have anything to fear at Orthodontic Alliances. Our northwest Indiana orthodontists have gone to many lengths to address your fears so that you can focus only on getting a beautiful smile!
I’m scared braces will hurt.
If you’re older, you might have a good reason to believe this is true. Here’s what you had to worry about in the past:
- large, bulky braces that scratched your cheeks and tongue
- bulky, awkward bands that went all around your teeth
- thick, heavy wires that hurt
- long treatments
Today, thanks to technology, these types of braces live in the past! We make sure your braces are as comfortable as possible and that your entire treatment can be completed without pain. Here are a few ways we do this:
- tiny brackets that won’t cut your tongue or cheeks, or make you talk funny
- lighter wires that are more comfortable, use less force, and require less time for treatment
- advanced materials that require fewer visits and allow you to finish treatments 6 months sooner than “old-school” braces
- bands that can help provide the same outcomes that bulky, embarrassing headgear did in the past
Although you will experience some pressure when you wear braces, this will be only mild and will indicate that your braces are doing their job! And if you’re really concerned about the metal in your mouth, read on to find out about Invisalign.
I won’t be able to eat what I want.
With yesteryear’s bulkier braces, this was more of a concern. Today, however, you can enjoy almost any of the foods you ate before braces! To prevent damage to your braces, though, we’ll give you a list of a few foods to avoid or how to prepare some foods to eat them.
- hard vegetables and fruits: OK to consume most, but many should be chopped into smaller pieces or cooked to prevent wires from bending and brackets from breaking
- sugary foods and beverages, such as soda, fruit drinks, and candy
- acidic foods and beverages, such as soda, lemons and other acidic/citrus fruits, and lemonade
- many candies, especially chewy, hard, and acidic candy
Trust us, you’ll want to follow these guidelines because:
- they’ll save you money on repairing materials
- they’ll save time coming into the office for repairs
- you’ll avoid pain (popcorn stuck in teeth, for example, can hurt!)
- you’ll avoid time spent trying to get food out of your teeth
- you won’t be as embarrassed in social settings because of food stuck in your teeth
- you’ll have cleaner, prettier, healthier looking teeth when your braces come off
- you can avoid tooth decay from food and sugar getting stuck under your braces
I’ll be embarrassed.
We already mentioned that today’s braces are less bulky and awkward than their older counterparts. Also, it’s normal for teens to wear braces nowadays, so you won’t really stand out – and you’ll be glad later when your braces come off, leaving you with a beautiful smile that won’t embarrass you anymore!
Our doctors also offer colored braces, so you can have fun and show off your braces in a way that your peers will like. If Christmas is coming up, why not get red and green? Or you can choose your favorite color, or the colors your sports team wears.
However, if you’re still concerned, then you may want to consider clear brackets. These are much less noticeable than metal brackets, so you’ll have a more discreet way to straighten teeth. Older teens and adults often choose these.
If that’s not discreet enough for you, or if you’re worried that braces will make you look immature – especially if you’re a busy professional – then consider Invisalign. These clear braces use nearly invisible aligners that fit snugly over your teeth. You can remove them when you eat or drink, or even when you have a special event to attend. Your coworkers and friends may never even notice you’re going through treatment!
I’m afraid of the cost.
If you’re worried about the cost of braces or other orthodontic care, let us help! Talk to our financial department about discounts, payment plans, and CareCredit no-interest financing. We’ll also give you a very close estimate of your costs up front.
My office visits will be uncomfortable.
Aside from the braces themselves, our doctors and staff work hard to make sure you are relaxed and comfortable in the office. We treat you with respect and kindness. We even have contests, rewards, and giveaways to keep it fun!
We hope you can see that there’s really no reason to be afraid of braces! To see for yourself, make an appointment today at one of our convenient locations. In the meantime, take a look at what our patients have said about how we’ve improved their smiles and lives!