- Schedule Online
- Michigan City
- St. John
Orthodontics is one of the most important fields of dentistry. It does not only correct a patient’s bite and dental arch structure, it may also potentially make a person look more attractive. Orthodontic treatments, such as braces, have inspired outrageous myths over the years (braces can attract radio signals, lightning, etc.). Read on to find out which is fact and which is not.
1. Wire braces can lock together when two people kiss.This myth has been around for years! According to orthodontists, yes, there is a possibility to hook or entangle the wires when two people with braces kiss, but they can easily disengage themselves.
2. Wire braces can set off security alarms. The lightweight material used in making braces will not react to metal detectors.
3. Wire braces can attract metal objects magnetically. No, they cannot. Braces are usually made of strong titanium alloys, which have no magnetic traits.
4. Wire braces guarantee straight teeth forever. All throughout your lifetime, your teeth will keep on moving. Even if you finish your regimen with braces, you need to wear retainers to maintain your straight dental arch. Your teeth will move apart otherwise.
5. Wire braces will start to rust over time. This is untrue, because the titanium alloy used in braces does not rust.
6. Wire braces interfere with electronic devices and radio signals. There is no reason for braces to affect radio communications, electronic signals, and gadgets.
7. Wire braces are only for kids. Wire braces may look juvenile, which is why we provide FAAB (fast acting adult braces), Invisalign, and clear ceramic braces. These solutions are very subtle and act faster than traditional braces.
8. Wire braces will prevent me from playing sports. You can play any sport you want, just make sure you use a sturdy mouth guard.
9. Wire braces are painful. After your initial adjustment period, you will notice that braces are not that noticeable anymore.
10. Wire braces are unattractive and embarrassing. You wear your braces, not the other way around. Focusing on your self-esteem will give you confidence and not think about how embarrassing your braces look. Other people will focus on your personality and forget you’re even wearing braces.
You may also choose other alternative from nearly invisible ceramic braces, Invisalign, or braces mounted on the lingual side of your teeth. With the recent advances in orthodontic dentistry, no one can tell you’re undergoing orthodontic treatment.
Here at Orthodontic Alliances, we offer more than just braces to straighten your teeth. We use cutting edge technology and modern methods to make sure you get effective results. Call us today at 219-809-6584 for an appointment or for inquiries.